PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Broadband router niggles
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2022, 14:25
Ancient Observer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Daughter's new-ish work from home laptop pc , supplied by the Company, worked well for circa 6 months. Picked up wifi well.

Then just started dropping the wifi whenever it fancied. No obvious issues. Techie guru from work "took over" the pc remotely, and couldn't find the issue.

Ignorant me suggested using TP Link powerline adapters, instead of wifi.. She already uses a pair for her Sky Box. We tried that, but set up failed, (Instructions for adding V5 to V3 were wrong).

In trying to set this up, though, a slightly weak electric mains plug-socket problem was discovered, accidentally by me. . (You can tell I am no electrician). As the mains socket was not quite 100% perfect, or possibly as the plug from the router was not 100% solid in the mains socket, the router didn't always like the leccy that it was being given. A very short 2 gang extension lead was firmly plugged in to socket, the 2 gang part was laid on the floor, and the power lead from the router shoved firmly in to the extension, so it was robustly connected.
Domestic power supply sockets were not built for the hammering we consumers give them.
The wi-fi is now fine. One day I will force the new ferkin TP links to work.