PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vale: Keith Meggs
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2022, 08:41
By George

Received 74 Likes on 18 Posts
Keith was one of a kind. I have never met anybody before or since who was so passionate about all things aviation. I first met him in 1971 and we became very good friends. He put me up with a bed in his lounge room when my first marriage failed. The room was wall to wall, floor to ceiling with aviation books. Coupled with a few beers this proved great therapy. Over the years he stayed with me in Queensland and even came to Singapore when I was working up there.
He hated DCA/DOT/CASA with equal passion. They took him to court once and one of the charges was 'Flying over unsuitable terrain in a single-engine aeroplane'. His reply, which included 'flying over unsuitable people with large guns in Korea' was one of the funniest things I have ever read.
We worked together with Australian Air Charters of Moorabbin in the mid seventies, he being a regular casual on the newspaper run to Canberra. One night, when coming home empty, he suddenly appeared out of nowhere on my left wingtip. He then asked ATC for a clearance 'in company' through the Melbourne control zone. This was 3am in the morning. "Knock it off you two" was the only reply and the fact they knew Keith resulted in no further action being taken.
A great pilot, a loyal friend, it was hard to watch him go down hill with dementia.
His book 'Australian-built Aircraft and the Industry' is a masterpiece and the result of fifty years of research.
Good bye Keith, it was a privilege to have worked with you and to call you a friend. One of the saddest things, the real characters of aviation are quickly disappearing. The Angels up there won't know what hit them.