PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSB release report into Malaysian A330 Pitot covers left on....
Old 23rd Mar 2022, 13:55
morno

Received 310 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Uplinker
I suppose it might be possible that at this airport, covers are routinely left on until the very last minute owing to the wasps, so pilots might have been told to disregard the pitot covers during their walk-around? But even if so, the 'Before Engine Start/Pushback checklist' should have a specific line added; "Pitot covers? - Three seen clear", or similar.

I don't think pilots are expected to make a comprehensive engineering inspection of the pitot probes - as you say, we can't always get close enough. Just that each one is uncovered, and seems unblocked, undamaged and serviceable. If insects have blocked one or all of the pitot probes in the time between removing the covers and pushing back; there will be an IAS disagree during the take-off roll, possibly leading to an RTO. Oh, wait........

I am beginning to wonder if some recent crashes and incidents around the World might indicate that we are seeing potential evidence of forged pilot licenses, or "Parker pen" hours in log books? Or perhaps some wayward TRE helping their mates get through Sims?
The Airbus already has a line in its before start checklist, “Gear Pins and Covers….. Removed”.

Like any checklist, unless it’s done properly, it merely becomes a response to get you to the next stage of flight. I don’t see how adding anything extra to a checklist is going to improve anything in this instance.

The last line of defence became that erroneous airspeed during the take off roll. Once that was missed and the takeoff continued, all the safeguards in place had failed.