PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Broadband router niggles
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2022, 19:56
rans6andrew

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Broadband router niggles

We have a couple of router niggles.

1) a brand new Asus laptop will not log onto one of the wireless routers in our southern headquarters. The router is picked from the list and the password entered and it just sits rotating the timer widget for a minute or two and then gives up. Selecting the other outer, the one without direct internet connection gets proper connection as you would expect. I have the correct password...... I didn't think to check whether the computer is logging on to 2.4 or 5 GHz when it works and the opposite frequency when it fails.

2) in our northern headquarters the mobile phone signals are quite poor indoors on both of the networks our phones use. I get around this with my EE network phone by enabling wifi calling. My wife has set her Plusnet mobile phone settings exactly the same as I have set mine but wifi calling obstinately fails to happen. One of the places she goes to when tutoring has even less mobile coverage than our house does and, once she was given their wifi password, gets wifi calling as soon as she enters their property.

3) both of our mobile phones connect to the wifi in our northern headquarters for internet browsing purposes, it is just phone calls that don't happen on one handset..

Supplementary info. The structure of the northern headquarters house seems to block radio waves. We have poor reception on both DAB and FM radio. The mobile phones work OK once you step outside. I thought it was odd that my laptop doesn't see ANY other wifi routers when indoors. I know that the neighbours to both sides have broadband in their houses. Our wifi doesn't work as far as a detached garage built close to the house. When at our southern headquarters our wifi can be connected to my laptop in our summerhouse which is more than 100 feet from the main building. We see several neighbours wifi signals inside ours, the neighbours properties are somewhat further away than the immediate neighbours in our northern property. Both places are double brick walled with cavity insulation, I don't know what type of material is in the norther property, the southern one has blocks of rockwool fitted at first build.

Rans6..................