PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Fylingdales and Smart Meters
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2022, 14:07
Downwind.Maddl-Land

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
I've just received a communication from my energy supplier to say that I can't access their better electricity export tariff as my home is "near RAF Fylingdales (it's 29 statute miles away) who operate their communications through the same network as the smart meter comms hubs used in the north. This means that the smart meters can interfere with their communications." Apparently, I will be able to access the better export tariff when "a new comms hub [that] has been developed recently" become operational; no timescale provided.

Additionally, although SMETS2 meters were installed in 2019 (never commissioned!) my supplier is insisting on installing new meters because as "a different supplier installed your smart meter, the meter will need to be replaced".

So, from that message, it appears that the marketing blurb about being able to change suppliers easily when you have Gen 2 smart meters is complete baloney, but more importantly, what the hell were OFCOM doing allowing commercial energy suppliers to share frequencies with critical national defence communication networks? The whole scenario beggars belief.