PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sweden builds up defences - 40% increase in spend
Old 20th Mar 2022, 22:32
vikingivesterled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pr00ne
"...forced to come into line through third columnists..?"

I think that you do the Norwegian population a huge disservice, and also underestimate them in the way that Putin underestimated the people of Ukraine. Look up Norwegian resistance in WW2 if you doubt me.
As a norwegian standing outside looking in, from a border village and with my year of service up north back when the reserve army was 8 times the size it is now, and actually quite comparable to what Ukraine had before the attack. So I know a fair deal about norwegian resistance and ww2. I also remember that the original Quisling was a norwegian. And there where many others like him. Norway under the nazi rule also sent quite a few volunteers to fight on the eastern front on the german side. Some of them returnees after fighting on the finish side against the russians in the winter war. A lot of the members of the norwegian resistance spent the war in Sweden and only turned up after the 8'th of May 1945. But one have to remember that the germans had more than 350 000 troops stationed in Norway during the war. That is twice as many as russia is attacking Ukraine with. However Norway's largest contriubution to the allied side was the Nortraship freighter and tanker fleet.

But in this case I've been looking at reports about some local politicians here and there up north that is very reluctant to follow up on any sanctions against russians. Including in Finmark and on Svalbard. Plus a political party that still wants Norway to give up its Nato membership. Norway has its fair share of communists, including of the old Soviet and Mao area type, and now heavily infiltrated in the green movement.
And I seriously doubt Norway will fight in their cities an let them be destoryed, rather than declare them open cities like Paris was. Even though all the military expertice now says a city is the easiest to defend and most difficult to attack, as prooven at Leningrad and Stalingrad. And now in Kiev, Kharkiv and Mariupol. But all sadly destroyed,

When it comes to the swedes in ww2 the opinions are divided, as where the swedish politicians and some royals. It proably varied through the war after who they tought would win. Some, including the founder of Ikea have not looked to well in afterlight. Sweden did let german troops pass through the country on occasions and never stopped shipping iron ore to Germany. But it also was a place of refuge and not all interment for norwegians, some of whom could travel onwards to England.
Another funny thing about Sweden is that Ukraine was once a part of their feifdom and when that ended at Poltava, Russia became the next ruler which signalled the beginning of that empire. Which really lead me to believe that Sweden's reluctance for alliances is that that really signals their fall from grace and they therefore prefer an oversized own military. Except they let that go when the wall fell and they no longer thought they had direct border enemies. Like much of Western Europe. So now they have an air force the size of Ukraine. Instead of as earlier one the size of what is attacking Ukraine. But I believe the state of affairs in the UK is not much different.