PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OpSec issues from Ukraine War
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2022, 16:20
MAINJAFAD

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tartare
Well there you go - I don't remember that from the time.
If the MOD did indeed discuss fusing details of Argentine bombs at a press briefing - then that's just laughably incompetent.
Does anyone have a source for that - open source, mind.
I'm not trying to be some sort of smart arse here - I can imagine how utterly galling it must be to see something sensitive inadvertently exposed.
Seriously, what I'm trying to point out is that you can't blame the public these days - it's an Opsec issue.
The velocity of information is such now that I wonder about the utility of D notices.
By the time someone's drafted the damn thing, called a broadcaster and served it - the whole world probably already knows.
Somebody did a paper about it that is on line is here https://kar.kent.ac.uk/50411. There is a timeline at the end of the document that covers when information was released. The Information about UXB's came out of a few MOD press briefings, the reports from the Press guys down there were heavily censored and it didn't come from them. Yes it was incompetent and the Royal Navy stamped down on it very quickly. Of the attacks that happened afterwards, there were still a large number of UXB's with 50% plus of the bombs being dropped failing to explode.