PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Foreign pilots now allowed to apply for a Green Card?
Old 19th Mar 2022, 23:59
DesiPilot
The Bumblebee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CapTITI
Hello everyone, nice to discuss with you all. I'm a PIC for 737/NG, my hours are around 8,000 and I have already applied for EB2-NIW. There's some information I do require before going to convert my ICAO license to FAA. It's about PIC qualifications in part 121.436 in a(3). The question is, Do I need to operate as SIC in part 121 operations 1,000hrs to fulfill PIC requirement? or I will be able to apply for a PIC job right away? the last paragraph is so confusing. Some advice or information from the US pilot would be appreciate, Thank you.

FAR121.436

§ 121.436

Pilot Qualification: Certificates and experience requirements.

(a) No certificate holder may use nor may any pilot act as pilot in command of an aircraft (or as second in command of an aircraft in a flag or supplemental operation that requires three or more pilots) unless the pilot:

(1) Holds an airline transport pilot certificate not subject to the limitations in § 61.617 of this chapter;

(2) Holds an appropriate aircraft type rating for the aircraft being flown; and

(3) If serving as pilot in command in part 121 operations, has 1,000 hours as second in command in operations under this part, pilot in command in operations under § 91.1053(a)(2)(i) of this chapter, pilot in command in operations under § 135.243(a)(1) of this chapter, or any combination thereof. For those pilots who are employed as pilot in command in part 121 operations on July 31, 2013, compliance with the requirements of this paragraph (a)(3) is not required.
The FAR's are very clear, you need experience as PIC/SIC with 121 or PIC 135, the foreign airlines are not part 121. I have more than 11,000 hours as PIC (foreign airlines) and 9000 of it in jets, I also have around 600 SIC in part 121 and I still do not qualify to be a PIC in part 121. I am currently working as a FO to build my time towards required 1000 before I will be considered for PIC position.

I know not the answer you want to hear but that's how FAA and airlines in the USA interprets it.