PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NH-90 problems
Thread: NH-90 problems
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2022, 13:50
Lonewolf_50

Received 394 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Doors Off
Stabilator issues on Mike models causing fatal accidents.
Really?
Did someone change the procedures in the flight manual for that? I'll see if I can get ahold of John Dixson to explain some of the nuances there.
Multiple engine failures.
There are procedures for that. T-700 reliability is impressive over its 40+ year life.

I'll take a look at the links, thanks.
Perhaps with the 1979 - 2022 maturity of the Blackhawk family, you would expect their issues would be less and have basically disappeared?
Only if you don't understand helicopter aviation.
I hope that you are aware that pilots change, and that there is turnover?
We have yet to perfect the Vulcan mind meld such that every thing I learned before I hung up my flight suit is absorbed by the next nugget to strap into a helicopter.
In other news, most of the A's have been converted to L's or have left US Army service, and most of the L's are undergoing mods to become the new V model (glass cockpit, like the M, as I understand it) and it looks like the Air Force got some HH-60W recently as the HH-60Gs, that have served long and well, slowly get put out to pasture.

Why I feel that the T-700 has gotten progressively better over the years.
About 30 years ago our Seahawks had some real troubles with uncommanded engine wind downs (usually roll backs, but on a few occasions the engines shut down) which curtailed some of our training until that rather complex set of problems were solved one at a time. (Aircraft to Engine interface was a root issue: Marconi, Sikorsky, and GE all took turns pointing fingers at each other). Two of the problems that I remember were floating grounds, bad diodes, and sometimes an HMU seal that would harden and fail (which IIRC was resolved at AIMD with a seal made by a different vendor, but I am really reaching here in terms of memory). Last time I talked to my Seahawk brethren (a bit before the SH-60B was sundowned in San Diego) I asked about that family of issues and it hadn't cropped up in years.
I still got some gnashing of teeth about main rotor dampers, viscous damper bearings, and HUMS from the operators

For Jack Carson: well howdy, glad to see that you are still among the quick!

As to the NH-90: I am sad to see it go from a neat idea (ah, the halcyon days of the 1990's) to 'having a few problems along the way' but if there are 500 of them up and flying, still, I'd say it's a successful model that, like any helicopter, has its quirks.

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 18th Mar 2022 at 14:06.