PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSB release report into Malaysian A330 Pitot covers left on....
Old 18th Mar 2022, 04:59
Uplinker

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by TURIN
...............Yes, engineers have check lists, there is usually a copy in the back of the tech log or in a supplementary folder with all the insurance certificates and aircraft legal docs somewhere on the flight deck. Legally it should be referred to every time a Transit or pre flight check is signed but frankly no one hardly ever does unless there has been a recent change.
"Well there's your problem, lady !"

Many years ago when I was a fairly new flying sprog; I innocently asked an engineer if they used checklists, as we pilots did. "No", came the reply; "we use common sense". Well that's all well and good, until someone forgets something or gets distracted, which is what checklists are supposed to mitigate. I personally would not trust my own memory, especially in an environment full of distractions. If I was an engineer, I would write and use my own checklists in a pocket sized format, if non were available. (But I am not blaming the engineers in this instance).

Ropes on pitot covers is no good i'm afraid, they are clipped in place to stop them blowing off.
Yes, I know; so they need to be redesigned to be secure but removable without steps. The covers I have seen have a velcro strap that goes around the back of the pitot probe cover to stop it falling off. A thin rope, attached to the end of that strap would enable a person on the ground pulling on the rope to unpeal the velcro strap and then pull the cover free. The rope would be very visible and obvious, so no separate streamer would be required.

Getting hold of steps can be a pain in the hoo hoo. When it is icy, pilots need steps to check the top wing surface, but the only steps usually available are the fueler's, which don't quite reach. There should be a set of steps on every main stand.

Yes, I know. This would all cost money - It might add as much as a whole pound Sterling per passenger ticket. But Safety is our primary concern, isn't it ?.................................isn't it?