PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSB release report into Malaysian A330 Pitot covers left on....
Old 18th Mar 2022, 01:21
TURIN

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by Uplinker
I can see how an overworked engineer, with another two aircraft to turn around might notice the covers and think "I must get some steps to take those off". But then, the fueler comes over to have the chit signed and someone else comes up to him and says a cargo roller has jammed in the forward hold. On his way to the cockpit to write up the fuel in the tech log, someone says the rear sink is blocked or the IFE is not working etc, etc.

I can see that the first item - the covers - could get forgotten. But why did the pilots not notice during their walk around? Do they really need a streamer to see if a cover is on a pitot probe? Why not simply just look at each probe - I always do, (as well as each landing gear pin hole or strut to check no lock pins have been left in).

I would hope that engineers have a checklist to make sure everything gets done and not missed on the turnaround, and also it seems that pilots need a more comprehensive checklist than the present "Gear pins and covers?",
e.g:
Engine cowls? Closed and locked
Gear pins? Removed
Engine blanks? Removed
Pitot covers? Removed
Static covers? Removed
AoA vanes? Clear
Fuel panel? Closed

Our industry used to pride itself on learning from mistakes. Let's learn from this one. Ropes attached to the pitot covers so they can be removed from ground level without having to go and find steps. Checklists for engineers. Instruction for pilots on how to check the aircraft on a walk-around, and I don't mean a series of written words in an FCOM; I mean someone actually physically showing the pilots where the ground lock pin holes are on the undercarriage struts. Where the pitot probes are. What to look for and where everything is.

Training, training, training.
That description is all too common which is why a written entry in the log is mandated. Just trying to get from fuel truck to flight deck is like the running of the bulls some times, getting chased by dispatchers, loaders, cabin crew, then the phone goes off and you are now wondering why you wanted to get to the flight deck in the first place! Distractions from critical tasks will always be there.

Yes, engineers have check lists, there is usually a copy in the back of the tech log or in a supplementary folder with all the insurance certificates and aircraft legal docs somewhere on the flight deck. Legally it should be referred to every time a Transit or pre flight check is signed but frankly no one hardly ever does unless there has been a recent change.

Ropes on pitot covers is no good i'm afraid, they are clipped in place to stop them blowing off.