PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glen Buckley and Australian small business -V- CASA
Old 17th Mar 2022, 21:10
Lead Balloon

Received 426 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunfish
I think there is something here that has been overlooked. I speak from the perspective of person involved in corporate start ups and venture capital...... people who don't play by Marquis of Queensberry rules.

What has been overlooked is that in the Australian context, APTAS business model, as made concrete in its exposition and other manuals and documents as well as its software is a unique creation embodying very valuable know - how that has cost a great deal of time and money to create and is a comprehensive solution to the requirements of flight training in Australia.

As such APTA's intellectual property is worth a very, very great deal of money in Australia because it is/was capable of dominating the flight training market. I suggest that the I.P. is still worth a great deal of money.

That raises a number of possibilities when one considers human nature. Those possibilities include fear among APTA's competitors as well as envy and greed in others. Who knows? Perhaps APTA by another name was going to be resurrected by others once it had been "abandoned" by Glen?

...You know, a new name and a few cosmetic changes to satisfy CASA and voila! A money printing machine.

To put that another way, is Australia to be denied access to APTAs comprehensive and valuable flight training solution? Might someone be waiting to resurrect the idea? Who owns the I.P.? Who has the manuals?
Glen will correct me if I’m wrong, but the entity Australian Pilot Training Alliance Pty Ltd (ACN 119 046 285), of which Glen used to be CEO, still exists. According to its website, the entity has CASA Part 141 and Part 142 approvals. Subject to individual contracts to the contrary, intellectual property created by that entity’s employees and officers (including ex-officers like Glen) would vest on its creation in that entity and continue to be owned by that entity. (This is one of the many reasons for the importance of understanding the nature of corporate entities. The property of the entity is just that: the property of the entity and not the property of its shareholders or officers or employees.)