PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Voluntary restriction on Medical (fatigue)- How?
Old 17th Mar 2022, 19:59
UFO-flying-Airbus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Voluntary restriction on Medical (fatigue)- How?

Hello all,

I'm hoping that someone might be able to help point me in the right direction with a work-related query.

I have (or appear to have) a circadian rhythm/ cognitive impairment issue which results in my being radically fatigued when being rostered for early morning flights.
I have tried many forms of redress. Diet, exercise, meditation, mindfulness, behavioral changes etc. to little avail.

The fact remains that I can only barely function in the early morning period of circadian low despite my best efforts to manage my sleep and energy levels
I am a healthy weight and run and exercise at the gym regularly.

After many years of ultimately fruitless dialogue with our scheduling department and management and countless fatigue reports I am still being rostered for such duties.

I have been informed that if I am able to procure an 'official' medical attestation to my problem I could be given a reprieve from such morning flights.
I am completely comfortable to commit to any medical restriction if that is what is required. But if a less radical solution may be available I'd be interested to hear your views.

I have a UK CAA Class 1 Medical on a UK License.

My AME has written to me on this topic and I have forwarded his mail to my higher ups which says that he affirms that I struggle with fatigue on early flights and advises that I not be rostered for them.
My manager, however, said that this is insufficient. Hence this post.

I just really need to get out from behind this as it's very distressing and quite tough on morale. I am fine after, say, 8am but if I fly earlier that that I make a disproportionately high level of slips (eg missed radio calls, selecting the wrong frequency,) and errors (eg late configuration, impaired Situational Awareness and so on). Not to mention a dull ache between the temples and a low mood.

Is there any way to get this issue addressed in my Medical Cert or otherwise?

Kind regards,

UFO-Flying-Airbus
London, U.K.