PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glen Buckley and Australian small business -V- CASA
Old 17th Mar 2022, 09:27
Lead Balloon

Received 426 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by Arm out the window
A coordinated and standardised flying training system with multiple bases, a centralised safety system feeding into those bases, working to a shared exposition is an excellent idea. If supervision, accountability and ongoing improvement are factored in (as I'm sure they were in Glen's model) then it must be a win for Aussie flying training.

CASA were clearly aware of the model for years prior to the change of oversighting team, if Glen's documentation is correct - and I don't suggest it's not - so they were happy with the concept. In a common sense world, why wouldn't you be?

It seems to me the APTA model clearly demonstrated appropriate and sufficient means for the responsible manager/s in CASA's eyes - HOO and Safety Manager - to fulfil their responsibilities. The sticking point might be the CEO role, given that we're talking about a number of legal entities signing up, all with their own CEOs, so who wears the responsibility for ensuring adequate provision of facilities and equipment for each base? Don't get me wrong, I really like the concept, but that's possibly one factor they'll home in on as to why they flip-flopped and said they objected to it after apparently being fully happy for years.

Still, that's hardly a reason to lead someone to believe that all was great, only to pull the rug out without notice. As with so many of the 'explanations' issued by CASA, the legal double-speak is like a Gordian knot, kind of like gaslighting where you find yourself being sucked into trying to refute their legal argument rather than looking at what makes sense in terms of actual instructors and students in aeroplanes doing sensible flight training activities.

Best of luck, Glen - I hope Pip Spence and Mark Binskin take strong action to ensure that it's Australian aviation, not organisational face saving, that wins out. They are in a position to do it, if integrity means anything, and this case will I hope be a watershed in prying open the sorry managerial state of our regulator.
Well said in my view, AOTW.