PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alleged UFO or UAP, 1990, Calvine, Scotland
Old 17th Mar 2022, 08:59
Matthew Illsley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NorthSouth
Apologies for coming to this fascinating thread late and for any answers that I may have missed, but (given that the photo in post #19 is clearly a Harrier), could it/they have been Jaguars? The estimable British Aviation Review tells me that on 4th August 1990 2 x Jaguar GR1As visited Newcastle, callsigns Wildcat 1&2. I believe Wildcat was a 226 OCU callsign at the time, which would mean they were likely to have come from Lossiemouth, and Calvine is certainly in the frame for a route from Lossie to Newcastle, especially at low level.
At another level, as a regular traveller on the A9 at that time, frequently at weekends, I cannot believe that the scenario was not witnessed and reported by many other people. Even just the presence of a couple of Harriers/Jaguars/whatever at low level on a Saturday night would be bound to lead to some complaints. So my suspicion is this is all boilleaux. But perhaps there are some ex-226 OCU folks out there who may have some memories of a rare weekend trip to Newcastle?
NS
Thanks for replying, NorthSouth.

The image in #19 is actually a mock-up created, we understand, by Nick Pope and a Channel 5 computer artist. It reflects Mr Pope's best recollections abut the "real" photos that he saw of the alleged Calvine diamond and its chase aircraft while he was working in Sec(AS)2a.

Is there an online source for the British Aviation Review about the 2 x Jaguar GR1As on 4th August 1990, or, if it's from a magazine, would you be able to post/email a photo at all, please?

Thank you.