PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2022, 22:46
Buster Hyman

Evertonian

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts
The thing about Propaganda is, IMHO, the context. In WW2 it was a useful tool that galvanized the populace into compliance or at the very least, all pulling in the same direction. All sides used it. The problem is de-toxing from it. My Mother, after being a child sheltering in a basement during the blitz, never forgave the Germans. My In-Laws the same with the Japanese, although without a first hand impression.

Putin needs the propaganda to spin his narrative. He needs the folks back home to believe it in order to justify an invasion & keep his troops committed & focused. He needs the World to believe his reasoning, although that ship may have sailed.

What does Ukraine need from propaganda? Very little IMHO. The populace is focussed on defending their Homeland. They have the sympathy of the World & a few dedicated souls that want to actually help on the ground.

So, in context, I would agree that they are both using propaganda, but I don't think they need it equally which tends to make the Ukraine reports more believable for me.