PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-3
Thread: Manchester-3
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2022, 19:55
Suzeman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navpi;11199608]
(i do wonder what % of Manchester freight is trucked and skews the figures, are the flown freight figures purely down to a point to point Manchester arrival or do they actually include a significant percentage from EMA or Southern airports passing through the sheds at Manchester ?).
As far as I know the figures quoted in the MAN statistics only covers freight that is flown in and out of the Airport.. Therefore they do not include any freight which is trucked from industry into the sheds and then consolidated into a load which is then trucked out to another airport. The reverse also applies when a consolidated load arrives by truck from another airport and is broken down for collection. None of these movements appear in the quoted statistics.

20 years ago a survey carried out for the airport concluded that the flown freight figure could be increased by around 50% to get the total tonnage passing through the forwarders transit sheds on airport in the World Freight Centre. However, it was impossible to work out how much air freight was being carried to/from the region which was by-passing facilities at the airport and being taken to off-airport transit sheds or direct from the factory to other airports.

I am not aware if any further work has been done on this and many things have changed - such as the loss of most all-freight flights and the growth of Fed Ex, UPS, DHL etc.

Ironically, the early hours sees the introduction of Lufthansa's new twice weekly A321F service. Meanwhile Fedex are scrapping their B757F service to CDG via BHX at the end of the month as they are now building up a hub at EMA.