PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PA28 damaged due to open door
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2022, 17:52
EXDAC

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot DAR
Ahhhh, no it didn't, it popped open, and trailed a few inches upon, neither opening more, nor being willing to be closed. This should be trained as an acknowledge and ignore event. If everything else is fine, you can play with the rudder, and probably get it closed, but you can also break the door handle if you fight against it.

There is no excuse for loosing control of the airplane. As per FAA AC105-2c, all PA-28-140, 160 & 180s may be approved to fly with the cabin door removed.
Agree that unlatched PA-28 door is, or should be, a non event. For those not familiar with the aircraft the door has two front hinges and two latches. I expect the most common error is to takeoff with the upper latch not fastened. It's noisy but has no control impact. Far less likely is to fail to secure the top latch and the main aft latch. Still not a controllability problem.

Many years ago a pilot lost control of an aircraft over Phoenix and crashed in a back yard swimming pool. A door had opened in flight. Some time later a tow pilot who had towed me many times died when he lost control after the Pawnee engine cowling opened soon after takeoff. The distraction is real and can kill you but that doesn't necessarily mean the aircraft was not controllable.

I did learn the hard way that the 182 jump door does change performance when opened. I was in a nice controlled flare when the jumpmaster, who had ridden down with me to take the next load of static line students, opened the door. Landing was firm and he was asked not to do that again.

Last edited by EXDAC; 13th Mar 2022 at 18:18. Reason: Added "A door had opened in flight"