PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2022, 23:03
Ninthace

Received 1,023 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by GlobalNav
I fully respect this view, nevertheless it is time to provide the support that will make the difference. Putin’s war is illegal and it is time to deny Russian forces air superiority. I am not an AirPower strategist, but Russia must be denied freedom of the skies over Ukraine.

Putin is using the possession of nuclear weapons as an umbrella to prevent decisive support for Ukraine and this is just unacceptable. There is risk that this strategy will be imitated by China, Iran, North Korea and other counties who achieve possession of nuclear arms. America should communicate clearly to Putin that any employment of weapons of mass destruction will be answered by overwhelming force without measure.
Denying the freedom of the skies over Ukraine is an interesting idea that is frequently thrown around. To do so requires at least air superiority by Ukraine or an airspace that is inimical to aviation up to the service ceiling of Russian ac. To be effective, in either case, it would have to extend outside the borders of Ukraine to prevent the effective use of stand off weapons. So far I have not seen a strategy to achieve this. The Ukrainians do not have the resources AFAIK and the intervention by a third party is likely to be problematic.

If anyone has an idea, I would love to read it.