PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2022, 22:33
SATCOS WHIPPING BOY

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by GlobalNav
I fully respect this view, nevertheless it is time to provide the support that will make the difference. Putin’s war is illegal and it is time to deny Russian forces air superiority. I am not an AirPower strategist, but Russia must be denied freedom of the skies over Ukraine.

Putin is using the possession of nuclear weapons as an umbrella to prevent decisive support for Ukraine and this is just unacceptable. There is risk that this strategy will be imitated by China, Iran, North Korea and other counties who achieve possession of nuclear arms. America should communicate clearly to Putin that any employment of weapons of mass destruction will be answered by overwhelming force without measure.
The Russian air force does not have air superiority. Their losses to date show that. It seems there are limited short-range and cross border sorties but I have not seen that described as Air Superiority and I doubt the Russians see themselves as having freedom of the skies. The air above Ukraine is not an aviation friendly environment with both sides having extensive surface to air hardware.

To other posters on here. There is a BIG difference between seeing what is happening as far as the west is concerned and what is actually happening. Just because you don't see it, does not mean it is not happening.