PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CG and spins
Thread: CG and spins
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2022, 08:52
Fl1ingfrog

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
a lot of stall and spin training is very artificial. In the real world you don’t get into a stall by first doing a HASEL check and then slowly pitching up until the airplane stalls. Personally I like to present stall spin avoidance with scenario’s that emulate real world accidents, like the base to final skidded turn or the panic turning pitch up when you think you are not going to clear the trees on a short field takeoff.
I agree but of course you cannot omit HASEL from training scenarios. The entry to the spin that I teach to the non aerobatic pilot is an incorrectly applied turn: smoothly apply maximum rudder, then progressive hand control to fully aft (no need to consider pitch up) and roll in the direction of the intended turn. On some types the spin entry is after a slight pause but not immediate, on others it can take second or too and be unexpected. I don't introduce the term 'pitch up' because the horizon is irrelevant. The vast majority of students and pilots generally confuse pitching movement with the horizon.

Scenario teaching is the way we should be going in my view, in all things. However I encounter a very strong, even a dismissive attitude to it in working groups.