PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CG and spins
Thread: CG and spins
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2022, 21:43
Big Pistons Forever

Received 133 Likes on 60 Posts
I think it is important to note this thread started with “ in the Private Pilot Course” . My comments are in relation to that. When I teach aerobatics the instruction is much more nuanced as there are many ways to depart controlled flight that would not apply to PPL training. Aerobatic airplanes also have high control authorities that add extra complexity ( eg into vs out of spin aileron inputs).

I believe that “spin training” in the PPL is negative training as pro spin controls have to held in for at least a full turn before the spin recovery is initiated. There are no times in non aerobatic flight that pilots should deliberately apply and hold pro spin control inputs.

In addition a lot of stall and spin training is very artificial. In the real world you don’t get into a stall by first doing a HASEL check and then slowly pitching up until the airplane stalls. Personally I like to present stall spin avoidance with scenario’s that emulate real world accidents, like the base to final skidded turn or the panic turning pitch up when you think you are not going to clear the trees on a short field takeoff.