PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CG and spins
Thread: CG and spins
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2022, 20:49
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 430 Likes on 227 Posts
But some aircraft may initially produce undemanded roll, rather than yaw at the incipient stage. Hence the RAF teaching, which was that if there was any autorotation with buffet, immediately centralise the controls, which should stop it developing. If the yaw subsequently continued beyond 180 degrees, or the aircraft continued to roll in excess of 360 degrees, the full spin recovery technique should be used.

Having said that, during formation “tailchasing”, we found that it was easy to manoeuvre the Bulldog very rapidly by briefly inducing autorotation…but of course that wasn’t officially taught because we weren’t supposed to flick roll that aircraft.

I did once experience an inadvertent high rotational spin when my student messed up a roll off the top manoeuvre. He was slow to sort it out and so I took control and applied full pro spin control followed by the normal spin recovery technique and it recovered very rapidly (to the extent that the rugby playing student was so alarmed that he squeaked)!