PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2022, 10:51
SATCOS WHIPPING BOY

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Recc
Apologies; this is not really aimed at you, but I do wish people would stop talking like this. The invasion and its justification prove that with complete control of domestic information, Putin does not need any 'excuses'. If he is prepared (or indeed wants) to use nuclear weapons to end a foreign war on favourable terms or as an elaborate suicide, then what NATO or the west does is irrelevant; the only alternative would be complete capitulation to whatever he wants. In short, it is a risk we need to take and his threats are not a reason for unilateral deescalation. What we need to do is match Russian escalation, whilst making it clear that (short of a direct attack on NATO territory) the Russian state is not under threat. It is vital that Putin finishes the war in a weaker position than when he started it. Any other outcome (particularly if derived from nuclear blackmail) will merely postpone a much worse conflict. I accept that if Western nations can avoid direct involvement it is much safer, but it should not be ruled out under all circumstances and Putin should know this.
...and I would wish that people would stop talking like this ^^^^

As it stands right now, this whole sorry mess is contained...if NATO "wades in" then it won't be and it really will be the start of WW3.

When you say "it is a risk we need to take" will you be at the front end like our friends and families will be ? Three pathways lie ahead; de-escalation, containment or escalation.
There seems to be too many hell bent on pathway three from the safety of their armchairs, when the most likely and favourable outcome is de-escalation brought on by Russian populace pressures. Wade in and that internal support will be lost.