PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2022, 07:43
dead_pan

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RatherBeFlying
As long as Ukrainians can continue to destroy Russian armor and artillery as quickly as it is coming in, Vlad will eventually run out.

We are seeing a race to determine who still has sufficient effective assets when the other side runs out. But a single tank formation will not be enough to take the entire country. Vlad will need enough armor and artillery remaining to take and hold each city he wants.

Vlad's advisors might impress upon him the need to retain enough armor and artillery to hold on to what he seized before. Let's not forget that the Ukrainians now have abandoned armor at their disposal.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out if Russian equipment losses do continue apace. So far there's been no real indication that other units from his military will be committed, just reports of Syrian and Wagner mercenaries and the "will-they-won't-they?" Belarussian forces. Maybe he's holding back in fear of trouble at home or in the various regions where he has his forces committed?

The flip-side is, I doubt the kit the Ukrainians have captured will make up their losses, let alone give them the means to mount a credible counter-offensive.

This latter point is vexing me somewhat - despite their incredible efforts, I can't see a way Ukrainians will be in a position to kick the Russians out of their country any time soon, unless NATO really opened the taps with military aid. And how then would Vlad react, faced with an even more ignominious defeat?