PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Collective Colour Vision Thread 4
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2022, 22:09
irish_kiwi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sip477
Hi,

First of all, my apologies if this is not the right place to post. I found no other posts with the same situation.

I live in Belgium, Europe. Last year I submitted my request for an EASA Initial Medical Class 1.
The examination was going very well, until I had to do the Ishihara Test. Turned out I have been colorblind for 25 years(!) without noticing anything.

As a result I received a Class 2 with restriction "Night Flying". Since I am aiming for commercial aviation, I would like to upgrade my Class 2 to a Class 1.
I already did the additional tests of EASA. The AME said that my score was just under the minimum requirements.
The AME told me my only options left are the OCVT (Operational Color Vision Test) in the US or give up the dream.
My concern now is: Can I, as an European, obtain an FAA license Medical Class 1? If yes, where exactly do I start?

TL;DR Failed initial Medical Class 1 (colorblindness) and received Class 2 with restriction "Night Flying". Would like to upgrade to Class 1.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Kind regards,
Sip
Im a medical examiner in Australia, so can't comment on the exact details in the EU.

The Ishihara is a screening test only, it doesn't quantify the level of colour deficiency.

Depending on local regulations, you should be able to undertake a Farnsworth Lantern test (or similar) and if you fail that, a CAD test. Some jurisdictions also allow an occupational assessment (which means you go and play with the lights at night time).

Have a look at YouTube for Farnsworth tests for reference. Check with your examiner about the actual local regulations for subsequent testing on failing the Ishihara. If they dont have the answer, they should be able to research it more appropriately on your behalf.

Regards

Irish Kiwi