PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C205 catastrophic engine failure
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2022, 05:35
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
I have noticed (and experienced) that selecting, identifying, and then maintaining an aim point for touchdown is a little easier on a small runway, and occasionally easier off runway, depending upon the surface. A big runway with stripes can nearly give a GA pilot a form of empty field myopia. Unless there's a particular visible different spot (like a odd skid mark, or off coloured path repair) the mix of asphalt and stripes can have a confusing checkerboard effect - I lost my spot, which one? While a turf runway may have a bald spot, or odd fence post beside which is unique, and an obvious aim point you can momentarily look away from, and then find again. When I teach skis on ice, I'll refer to a small crack in the ice or snowmobile track, and land just past. When I have taught on paved runways, it's actually been more difficult to direct the student to what I see as a good aim point; "aim for the beginning of the second stripe past the piano keys...." "Um... one... two... um...". When I teach off asphalt; "see that bald spot 200 feet from the fence? Aim for it." And, that spot is repeatable for circuits and consistency.

That's not an excuse for poor speed control for a normal, power available landing, but as I have said, I'm entirely okay if a pilot allows themself a decent excess of glide approach speed when the landing area is not constrained, and they know that they can bleed it off...