PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C205 catastrophic engine failure
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2022, 18:10
Piper.Classique

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
There is always someone who thinks that the pilot who made a safe landing after an engine failure could have done better. I'm a glider pilot, too.
it's not the same. I say again, it's not the same. Gliders are always landed without the use of an engine ( yes, OK, some motor glider trainers may not be but that's what we are discussing here)
I've put gliders in fields, not so many once I got better at soaring flight. I've put a powered aircraft onto an airfield after an engine failure. Just the once. It had my heart rate somewhat elevated.
It's not the same. Expectation with a powered aircraft is to arrive at destination and land with the benefit of engine, flaps, the possibility of a go around. In a glider there is always some possibility of an out landing, but it's made for that.
This person landed neatly after a controlled circuit, without the benefit of airbrakes, or a good glide ratio. Flaps? Maybe available, maybe not. Nothing broken, no unseemly rush or panic.
It's a pity he will have to buy a new engine. If he had wrapped the aircraft up in a heap of bits and got out unhurt he could have made an insurance claim.
But he didn't. Good landing under control. But hey, someone always knows better.
Did I mention, it's not the same?