PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C205 catastrophic engine failure
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2022, 05:01
megan

Received 408 Likes on 212 Posts
In my opinion this pilot would not have survived an off airport landing using the technique shown in the video.
Come back to the real world, what pilot in his right mind would be using that technique for an off airport landing? The chap is fortunate the engine failed when it did, it looked like he had a tree top solid undercast on track just ahead of him.
I don't believe the pilot shown in the video had any clue where the aircraft was going to touchdown
Given the runway available there was no absolute need to have an exact touch down point in mind.
Go back to the military engine out approach diagram posted earlier, Can you find any part of the video's approach that comes close to the approach path that shown in that diagram?
He was on top of the airfield at 2,300 AGL on a northerly heading and from midfield flew a continuous left turn to touchdown on 31L, a disciplined approach, exactly as the diagram shows, only differing in speeds and altitudes, as does the F-100, F-104 etc diagrams et al.
Pick the touchdown point and fly a controlled speed descent to touchdown at the chosen point with minimum energy. There is no defined path and no defined configuration. Both need to be adjusted to maintain the sight picture that will result in touchdown at the selected point. That technique will work just as well for an off airport landing as for a 10,000 ft paved runway
That doesn't actually explain how you ensure a safe landing, he actually complied with each of the points you make. The pilot actually says to himself "Alright Kev, don't f*** this up we do this......", his statement is cut off by a radio transmission but I bet the rest of his statement was "all the time", probably reflecting on an instructional background perhaps, that assessment is backed up by his cool unflustered manner.

When I did a flight test with a regulatory pilot with 60 hours in the log for the award of a CPL scholarship he gave me an engine off at 3,000 in the C150, was positioned on a high, high final for a grass cross runway, planted it right on the numbers, full flap 40°, his critique was be careful of wind shear, a valuable piece of advice not mentioned previously, aiming to touch down as close as possible to the boundary fence of a short paddock is fraught if the sight picture becomes suddenly starts rising (undershooting), better to aim to land deeper into the paddock and run off the end at slow speed.