PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C205 catastrophic engine failure
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2022, 23:04
EXDAC

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by First_Principal
While it's fine to review and discuss - indeed it's good to use such examples to learn from - criticism such as suggesting he wouldn't survive an 'of [sic] airport landing' is a leap so far that, maybe, it says more about the deliverer than the recipient?
What techniques demonstrated in the video would you think would be appropriate for an off airport landing. Do you actually think that a landing spot was selected? Do you actually think the touchdown was at the selected landing spot? Do you think the vertical path and speed was appropriate for an on airport or off airport landing with an engine failure?

Go back to the military engine out approach diagram posted earlier, Can you find any part of the video's approach that comes close to the approach path that shown in that diagram?

Which parts of the video would you use to tell your students - this is how you should make an approach and landing with an engine failure?

It is my opinion that primacy will rule. If you never practice idle power approaches to landing at a preselected spot you will not be able to do that when the engine fails.

I'll concede that this video may not be representative of the pilot's ability to perform a safe off airport landing. I'll revise my comment to say - In my opinion this pilot would not have survived an off airport landing using the technique shown in the video.