PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2022, 19:23
dead_pan

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Lonewolf_50
What are the odds that the Russians ever pull back from the territory they have gained so far?
In the south, I'd say very low.
In the north, maybe. (These are things that I suspect are already being raised in "the talks" that are ongoing).

Which airfields (civilian and military) in those zones are now in Russian-occupied territory?

I keep going back to this, but the port city of Mariupol looks to be a serious campaign objective.
I don't think Putin will stop until they have it.
Contrary view to other posters - alas I don't think there is any prospect of Russia giving up any territory gained, assuming they can "freeze" the conflict at a point which suits (a big if, assuming Ukraine keeps on fighting). Any attack on captured territory would therefore be viewed as an attack on Russia itself and would likely be met with major retaliation (nukes).

The question for me is how the populace in the captured cities will likely respond to living under Russian occupation, especially given Russia's economic travails. Major - and widespread - unrest, could place a major drain on its military resources and morale.