PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Off to a new home
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2022, 17:45
ex-fast-jets

Received 84 Likes on 22 Posts
SD89 & Nut

To clarify a little.......

BN was parked at the rear end, starboard side of HERMES. It was pretty much the only ship that could take it, as INVINCIBLE was so much smaller and fully occupied by its SHARs and other helos. It arrived on HERMES fairly late in the evening.

In my opinion, the ship's crew were not the ones who wanted it pushed over the side...........

We were told by BN's crew that they had been told that if it was not off the ship in the morning, the Captain - who disliked the RAF intensely - would order his crew to push it over the side. We discussed with BN's crew how they might head ashore and what to do when they got there. It was new to all of us, but we made our suggestions, and early the next morning, they wokka'd off.

I have little doubt in my mind given the difficulties we (the RAF GR3s) had throughout with the hierarchy on HERMES, that the order to push it overboard would have been given, and the crew would have done so to avoid disobedience and time in the Brig. Thankfully, BN's crew were good enough and determined enough to head ashore without really knowing what awaited them when they got there.

The rest is history.