PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dounreay
Thread: Dounreay
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2022, 09:20
Davef68

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by OvertHawk
I am fully aware that they are different places - having flown into both of them in helicopters .

The OP asked if Dounrey might be the

"Northern Scotland former RAF base that turned over to marines and coast guard for North Sea rescues. Mostly operated by a helicopters in the 90's"

I suggested that it is highly unlikely that Dounrey would be described as such and much more likely that it was Peterhead / Longside that was being described.

To my knowledge Dounrey was never the base for any helicopters other than the odd temporary detachment of helicopters doing survey work associated with the reactors. It was also never a stop off for any offshore flights although it might have been a refuel spot for the occasional SAR aircraft heading North-West.

Longside on the other hand was an absolute hotbed of offshore helicopter flying at one time - Not sure how much goes on there now as I'm out of touch.

OH
Possibly, but I don't think that Peterhead was never used as a RM base. I do wonder if the OP's conversationalist was conflating several bases (RM Condor for example) - although I'dd imagine that RM might have been used as security for the RN part of Dounreay.

Coastguard only ever operated out of Sumburgh and Stornaway (RAF/RN covered the rest).