PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2022, 08:49
dead_pan

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Flyhighfirst
The problem for Russia is that with their pathetic performance to date that threat isn’t going to have much weight.

they have thrown their combined weight against Ukraine (bearing in mind they need to keep reserve troops in other parts of the country, and even more so now to suppress rioting and demonstrations). I don’t think they are much of a threat to anyone else. This will very much annoy them in years to come, and harm their economy even more as they spend excessive amounts of GDP on defence to rectify the problem.
Yes, its all a bit embarrassing for them really. I bet some people at NATO Command are scratching their heads trying to make sense of the chaos that is the Russian military machine. As Hertling noted in a recent Tweet, its the military equivalent of a mosh pit...

Given the vast majority of their conventional kit is legacy Soviet stuff, I wonder how much they would realistically need to spend to put them on par with NATO or China? Probably more money than their economy will generate for years and years.