PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Meaning of ‘EFAS’ for approach lighting system
Old 7th Mar 2022, 03:40
Leonard Peletier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by C.M
Does anybody have a clue what this EFAS abbreviation might mean in the attached picture ? ( pertaining to approach lighting ) The only aeronautical abbreviation I can find is “Enroute Flight Information Service” and I’m sure this is completely irrelevant
Attachment 4018
Yes. It's short for "Electronic Flash Approach System," which used "chasing" strobe lights to indicate to a pilot where he should try to touch down for a safe landing in poor visibility. It was created, I think, by Sylvania. I know Sylvania trained me to demonstrate the system around 1960 and my spiel included only references to Sylvania. A subsidiary or a partner company may have been the creator. I was fronting for Sylvania, alone, using a script outline and the literature.

I was not a pilot and my demonstrations consisted only of a narration, delivered while I operated an optical simulation to demonstrate the value of the system. I believe the system (or a related one) is now in near-universal use, worldwide. Another poster includes the word "Light" in his explanation. When I was involved, the word "light was not part of the name, being rather obvious, anyway. That word could logically have been used later ... but was not when I was involved.