PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monarch Aircraft Engineering Apprenticeship Scheme
Old 4th Mar 2022, 22:17
Yogi Bear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi. Thanks for info. I recall it somewhat different?

Originally Posted by red 5
I am also an ex MAEL apprentice same year as BUS429, i thoroughly enjoyed my apprenticeship. However we were due to finish in July 1982 and a certain person incharge of the apprentices at the time told all of us that we were being made redundant in a months time. I was not happy with this situation and i asked for a meeting with Jim Rainbow to clarify why we were being made redundant. Basically he was not aware that we were being made redundant and that the person who told us we were would be dealt with. I'm glad Jim listened as there was 9 of us due to finish that year. I stayed till October 1999 and several are still there, i certainly learnt a lot and travelled widely with Monarch a good experience indeed.
The 9 Appos. MH, SD, IM, SF, KD, RD, PG, CH, NC. We were told no jobs at end of the apprenticeship. But Steve Poole went in to see the management and fought to save our "jobs" as they could not throw away "36 man years " of training into the bin. Some lads left and went to Hatfield (came back later, SD, MH, IM) which may have saved some positions? The Leading Hand at the time (GH/JH?) was tannoying staff to give them their brown envelopes!!!