PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick-3
Thread: Gatwick-3
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2022, 11:06
JW95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gdiddy
Any news on China Airlines - London to Taipei service returning to Gatwick?

Not heard any news about Scoot pulling out, but nothing on their website from London is bookable.

I guess it was always inevitable, the long haul routes would be harder to restore than the European ones, and carriers would be focusing on restoring capacity to LHR before LGW, which acts more as an overflow.
RE. Scoot- they should be resuming LGW towards the end of March? I was speaking with one of their agents just a couple of weeks ago, and he confirmed Scoot would be back at LGW North Terminal, unless things have changed since then?

RE. China Airlines- Gatwick is still listing them as operating from the South Terminal when it reopens. I thought they hadn't been granted S22 slots at LHR?

It is a shame though. LGW had a really nice and diverse mix of long haul pre 2020/pandemic, and it's very sad seeing how reduced it has become, as LGW has become a great airport under GIP ownership. Granted, we've had some new entrants (JetBlue, Scoot) and BA are building their LGW operation back up again to similar pre-Covid levels, but at the same time, the airport has undoubtably lost a large chunk (Virgin Atlantic- although rumoured to be returning- Cathay Pacific, Air China, China Eastern, Rwandair, Norwegian). I am hopeful that the airport will be able to work hard to attract some of this back, and hopefully LGW long-haul can be rebuilt.