PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2022, 08:24
tartare

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
This whole "Oh my God, the Russians just shelled a nuclear power plant!" is a beat up.
They set a training building on fire and had a firefight around the plant.
That's it.
Radiation levels did not increase - and the IAEA did not say it was a catastrophe.
All of the reactors but one were offline.
It was probably bone-headed stupidity and carelessness, rather than anything else.
Watch the evening news here in Australia and you'd think Chernobyl x10 had just happened!
Absolute drama-queenery by global media.
Here's a real expert - Tony Irwin, honorary associate professor at the Australian National University department of nuclear physics.“The reactor itself is actually quite protected against events,” said Professor Irwin, who worked at British nuclear reactors for many years and alongside Russian scientists after the Chernobyl disaster in 1986.
“The concrete container is so thick that it is proof against most bombs. If you have a heavy missile you would do damage but you would have to aim it directly at the reactor.”
Professor Irwin said Russia was more likely to want to control the facility rather than destroy it and send radiation over their own people.

The direction of fire was parallel to, and away from the reactors.
However - as I said earlier - the much scarier prospect in my view is that if that idiot Putin feels he's backed into a corner - I'm still convinced he'd be willing to detonate a small warhead.
This is a man who is literally on record as saying he sees no use for a planet without a Russia - direct quote.
Now that is pause for thought.

Last edited by tartare; 4th Mar 2022 at 09:09.