PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing pilot involved in Max testing is indicted in Texas
Old 3rd Mar 2022, 23:57
olster

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts
Fdr you really nailed it. The 737 as you are well aware has a large powerful stabiliser attached to a small elevator. I have anecdotally seen in the simulator a stab runaway that would have had a catastrophic outcome due air loads if it were not for the timely press of the freeze button. Assuming of course that the sim is programmed to match the aircraft. The fact remains that if your stab runs away at the wrong energy level and you don’t catch it swiftly you could get unravelled real quick. This is regardless of how the stab runs away, MCAS or not this is an Achilles heel on type that remains in a corner of the envelope that I hope nobody finds. Bring on the narrow body mini 777 with full fbw would have been my original advice prior to the tragic accidents and remains so. The Max fiasco is a stain on Boeing which they have to live with and move on from. The fact that executives with large and unimaginable pay have come through this unscathed while functionaries are pursued is beyond shocking. The one source of alpha in defiance of basic engineering principles coupled with the lack of prescription on MCAS to pilots still defies belief.