PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MET display for Club
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2022, 20:34
First_Principal

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts
I'm not familiar with how this 'F214' data is delivered (being a good few thousand miles from you), however in general it's usually possible - and often relatively simple - to automate data collection and display. This could be as easy as using a little Python code for example, or just setting your browser to refresh every x seconds (with Firefox there are add-ons to do this, probably for other browsers as well). If you research 'data scraping' it'll give you an idea of various ways to do this.

Whether it's a good idea, or even legally permissible, is another matter. The service provider may specifically prohibit the use of their data in this way, and then there's the issue of ensuring that what someone sees on the screen is actually correct - what happens if the local system locks up without anyone knowing and supplies out-of-date data? There are ways to deal with this, and the supplied data could assist if it's timestamped or sequenced etc, but it's something you should be aware of if you go down this track.

Additionally I guess with a system that requires one to log in and specifically request locational data the provider can track that and determine what person x has looked at. Some people might be uncomfortable with this, and it may only be useful after an event perhaps, but others might view it as a plus. Just for the record I've read Eric Blair, Aldous Huxley and JS Mill, and I'm very wary of supplying any more information than is absolutely necessary

Otherwise carry on with your Mac, or perhaps if it's getting old you could use a RPi4 which would probably use less power and may be easier to write scripts for etc, if you wanted to do that.

FP.