PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAT (Yugoslav Airlines) Boeing 707s
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2022, 20:19
Flightrider

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't recall any Yugotours stuff on Saturdays but it's such a long time ago I can't be sure.
I don't have the books to hand, but one of the four - and I'm sure it was Dubrovnik - flew on a Saturday evening into LBA with Aviogenex. The Aviogenex 737 was normally in/out around the same time as the Balkan TU154 until that switched to an early morning flight several years later and often accompanied by a Spantax (latterly Hispania) 737. You couldn't move in the tiny WH Smiths for the Aviogenex and Balkan crew.

Pula and Split were on Sundays, with the JAT 707 in 1985 (YU-AGI and the same Captain every week) for Pula and an Aviogenex 727 or 737 on Split. The Iberia A300 operating for Aviaco was also Sunday afternoon.

Ljubljana was on a Monday morning and varied between a JAT DC9-32 and a Tarom/Adria RomBac One-Eleven. If I remember rightly, there was an Aviaco DC9-34 direct LBA-Tenerife on a Monday morning as well. I'm convinced it only ever reached V2 heading south somewhere near Woodall Services on the M1. There were a few memorable departures which would make compulsive viewing on Youtube nowadays if it had been around back then. If ever an aircraft, a runway and a route were an ill-suited mix, the DC9 on Leeds-Tenerife was right up there alongside the British Island One-Eleven 500 on Saturday's Leeds-Palma for Arrowsmith.