PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss over Launceston Virgin DJ
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2003, 14:23
404 Titan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RV8builder

You seem to be putting us all in the same basket son. I personally couldn’t give a rats what Civil Air, as a Union body have to say even though they have the same concerns as I do about NAS. As a professional airline pilot, former GA chief pilot, CFI and ATO, I have a very big problem with NAS as is stands in Australia at the moment. You sir are meddling in something you obviously have no idea what you are talking about and this is what has me and others in this industry very worried. You seem to fail to grasp the limitation of TCAS and mode C transponders especially with regard to GA transponders which are notorious for being out by a couple of hundred feet. Don’t try and tell me that this is rare as I can assure you from previous experience it isn’t, even in IFR aircraft. As a point to note, TCAS warnings in the Airbus A340/330 are in the emergency section of the QRH and FCOM for a very good reason. It is an emergency maneuver, which will probably result in injury to pax and crew not strapped in. You also seem to fail to grasp the limitations of see and avoid from a jet doing 250 kts +. While we will always do our best to try and see traffic, it is usually impossible to see, especially against an urban background. Finally you seem to think that Australia’s airspace system is one of the most over regulated systems in the world. As I have told you before, you need to look around you before you make such a stupid comment like that. Go and try and flying your RV8 in Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, China, Japan, India, Russia, former Soviet block countries, the Middle East and Europe and you will see what I mean. Your stupid and ill-informed comments are starting to p**s me off.