PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engineers and pilots favourite and least favourite aeroplanes
Old 2nd Mar 2022, 06:55
longer ron

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
I'm with you on that L Ron.
I've never been so filthy as when I riggered Harriers. A lot of work required the engine out, to take the engine out you had to take the wing off; to take the wing off you had to jack it up; to jack it up you needed four jacks; and so it went on. All this in the field!!
Indeed ABB
We always said that the wing should have been named 'Panel 1' as it had to be removed so often
One little job I had the 'pleasure' of doing twice was replacing the FFP (Fuel Flow Proportioner) in situ with the engine still fitted.
This job has been likened to taking your teeth out through your Ass,working under the fuselage through a small access panel with all that lovely dripping fuel and hyd fluid,you had to disconnect the fuel and hyd conns,unbolt the damn thing but could not let it drop as it would have flattened a nest of thin walled hyd pipes underneath the FFP (the FFP was a fairly heavy item LOL).
Why did I have to do it twice ? incorrect diagnosis by an electrical 'colleague',the FFP caption was on in the cockpit and I had asked him ''are you absolutely sure it is a duff FFP ?''.
Anyway the first replacement item I fitted failed mechanically (think loud clanking noise) during engine run,so I had to then fit another 'new' FFP - I wonder why I have neck and back problems ??
The true cause of the FFP caption was actually a tiny little elec relay - eventually diagnosed when it was found that the caption was still illuminated on ground runs - result one sparky off my christmas card list