PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAT (Yugoslav Airlines) Boeing 707s
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2022, 15:11
rog747

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Mooncrest
Does anybody know if the JAT DC-10 fleet ever turned up on the Yugotours or other I.T. flights ? I think it's doubtful - they are likely to have spent most of their time on long haul schedules - but all the other JAT aircraft did charter work.
Actually, I'm not sure if the Caravelle ever did.
Thanks!
I can only add-

The JAT DC-10's did do charter flights, but not for UK Yugotours, unlike their 707's - The DC-10 did more long haul charters to USA/Canada/China and Australia.
The DC-10 came to LHR and LGW on a rare occasion.

In 1968 a sixth JAT Caravelle registered as YU-AHG was delivered.
JAT technicians made immediate
mods increasing the number of passenger seats from 86 to 91 in order to meet a higher demand for more charter flights
In 1969 the seventh Caravelle (YU-AHK) arrives.

Tito’s Yugoslavia Opens to the World -
Yugoslavia by 1969 drops most of the Tourist Visa requirements and thus Tourism took off which saw Yugotours in the UK massively expand with chartering Inex Adria and Aviogenex who both expanded with new Jet fleets from 1969/1970 with Yugotours soon flying from 14 UK Airports.

In 1970, Air Yugoslavia, JR/JU/YUGAIR, was formed as an independent unit of JAT with independent financing and management. Alongside with organizing charters in Europe, Air Yugoslavia organized the airlines first 707-321 charters to the United States and Canada, and also in 1970 JAT's first DC-9's were delivered.
JH/Pan Adria's DC-9 was also used on charter flights on behalf of JAT - their DC-9 would go to Inex Adria in 1974 with "Leased by Inex-Adria Airways" sticker beside the front door.

The JAT Caravelle did turn up at LGW in the late 60's and early 70's, and I am thinking that I saw them at BHX and EMA too, so assume these were IT flights most likely for Yugotours.
The JAT SE210 fleet were WFU 1976.

Apart from the Spanish charter airlines, AO, TR and HI/XF, it was SAM Italy (owned by AZ) who were the main Caravelle IT charter airline seen into LGW each summer, and also MAN BHX GLA flying for Citalia Holidays and others.