PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2022, 15:40
Lonewolf_50

Received 415 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by ORAC
RUSI: The Mysterious Case of the Missing Russian Air Force

https://rusi.org/explore-our-researc...sian-air-force
The article points out, near the end, that their use may be part of a different phase of the op. (Interesting points about deconfliction and blue on blue risks, as well as hours per year for the pilots). TBH, the combined arms approach is something I've assumed, but they seem to have decided that they are going to be Helo Heavy in the airspace over the FLOT/FEBA. Have they de emphasized the deep battle? One wonders.
Fighter sweeps/offensive CAP (with the initial efforts aimed at disabling of the Ukrainian AD / EW network); a question well raised.
An aspect I'd consider looking at is readiness rates and how many squadrons are needed for larger op areas, like the far east.
I don't think the Russians would strip their far eastern forces for this op which they (rightly or wrongly) believed to be a ground heavy operation with attack helicopter support.
Also interesting is the observation on the PGM. Makes me scratch my head, a bit.
If they used a lot of them in Syria a few years ago, how is it that the order book for replenishment hasn't already back filled the stockpiles?
It's not like the leadership can't direct the money there, is it?
There's a story I'd like to see told, though I doubt I'll ever see it.