PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - With the Landrover Defender ending, do you think the Ineos Grenadier will have a roll
Old 27th Feb 2022, 09:13
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
With any wind, the gutless piece of junk we had on 1312 Flt at MPA would actually slow down when changed into top gear whilst we were driving as fast as possible down the RW to the aircraft when called to cockpit readiness! All the blunties had relatively modern vehicles, but the aircrew had to use knackered old heaps.

I went back a couple of years later as Sqn Ldr (Air) and was appalled to find that the situation hadn't improved. So I raised the issue at the next 'Theatre Vehicle Liability Meeting', pointing out that it was totally unacceptable for AD scrambles to be compromised in this way. I was assured that it would be 'reviewed'....I'll bet it wasn't. I also asked why relatively new Landrovers had a stencil reading 'This vehicle is not to be used off-road' on the dashboard and was told that it was some warranty issue. What idiot agreed to that?

Having had experience of the 'Six Pack' at Incirlik, I recommended that the flight should be given a Defender 110 Double Cab as the next vehicle. I'll be that never happened either!