PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Cockpit?
Thread: What Cockpit?
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2022, 17:59
India Four Two

Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts
interesting posts while I was sleeping!

Enthusiasm is dangerous on here!!
Does that mean TAPs are not tolerated?

Beamr has it - the TF-102A Delta Dagger.
To train F-102A pilots, the TF-102A trainer was developed, with 111 eventually manufactured. The aircraft was designed with side-by-side seating to facilitate pilot training, a popular concept in the 1950s (also used with the American Cessna T-37, British Hawker Hunter T.7 and English Electric Lightning T.4, among others). This required a redesign of the cockpit and a nose almost as wide as that of a Convair 340 commercial airliner. The new nose introduced buffeting, the source of which was traced to the bulbous canopy. Vortex generators were added to the top of the canopy to prevent the buffet which had started at about Mach 0.72. The intake ducts were revised as the inlets were repositioned. Despite the many changes, the aircraft was combat-capable, although this variant was predictably slower, reaching only subsonic speeds in level flight.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convai...2_Delta_Dagger

Here's a picture I took of the one on Century Circle at the West Gate of Edwards AFB:

As I said, it's a cozy cockpit:

The pilot in the left seat in the picture I previously posted is Gordon Cooper, one of the Mercury 7.

Slb was referring to a Netherlands-based USAF TF-102A named Bubbles, with clogs painted on the nose. I found a picture but now have lost the reference!

Does anyone know the origin of the strange bi-furcated stick?

Beamr has control.