PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - With the Landrover Defender ending, do you think the Ineos Grenadier will have a roll
Old 25th Feb 2022, 13:36
Thud_and_Blunder

Received 89 Likes on 35 Posts
Was in Oman when the LR sales team brought a few examples of the first Discovery out so people could have a look around. The FAC team took one out into the desert - pretty unimpressed, they handed it back to the LR team with their comments. Among other things it was observed that the air-con only worked for about 3 hours before packing-in. The LR people were aghast - "you tried running it for 3 hours?!!". The FAC folk then pointed out that their Toyota Tercel 4x4 estate car and the Landcruisers were all capable of similar or better cross-country desert performance, and that the air-con remained on throughout. Re "Defenders" - the sub-aqua club used to take their V8 LWB into the jebel area SE of Muscat en-route to a favourite beach. I took my Suzuki 410, with all their tanks in the back, on the same route - never had to go down to 4WD let alone low-ratio, whereas you could hear the LR straining up some of the inclines with everything selected 'on'.

The GAFA experience was shared by the SOLF unit with responsibility for the Wahiba Sands (WFR?) - they sourced as many Series 1 Landcruisers as they could find - it was the only vehicle that could handle the terrain. LR half-shafts - guess what the main item that used to have to be flown out to A and D Sqns during the First Gulf Unpleasantness used to be?

You'd think I'd have learned from this, but no - when subsequently posted to the land of BFG and discount motors, I thought the high-driving position of the Disco would be a bonus in a RHD vehicle over there. It was - but I hadn't factored in the delay before Natocars could hand over the vehicle as their inspection found 151 (they kindly itemised them for me) pre-delivery faults. Replaced it after the standard 12 months with a LWB RAV4 - never looked back. Just regret the year spent polluting Germany with all those diesel fumes.