PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2022, 22:10
LS-4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fab777
After a day spent on the internet watching the situation develop, I am a bit puzzled: I was expecting a full bombing of Ukrainian air defense, then aerial warfare until the Ukrainian army is on its knees, and then ground invasion. Modern warfare, as shown in Irak during operation Desert Storm, for instance. Instead of that, it seems that the Russian army is fighting like it used to fight in 1945: all out charge with every asset available. When blocked, repeat, until the sheer number of troops makes a difference, and make Berlin fall in 15 days with 300.000 deads in your ranks. Am I the only one wondering about the tactics?
When it comes to conventional warfare, Russia apparently follows a somewhat different doctrine with more or less joint operations in all domains from the start. At least I think that used to be an official doctrine years ago, although some things may have changed with the introduction of cyber, hybrid and better cruise missiles. The apparent intention of overthrowing the Ukrainian Government as quickly as possible and gaining control in the east may also favour early engagement on the ground. Besides, Russian air power isn't on par with NATO.