PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cheap Aircraft for Resistance Fighters
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2022, 11:32
nomorecatering

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Cheap Aircraft for Resistance Fighters

I could be asking a dumb question.

Could a air superiority fighter of any nation, or air defence system take out an expertly flown extra 300. That is, if an Extra 300 got bounced by an F16 or similiar, could the high g turning ability of the Extra keep it in the fight long enough to hold off an attack by a jet fighter.

There is a video of a Pucara (correction OV10 Bronco) beign taken on by an F16 and it manage to hold out for quite some time before being shot down due to it's low speed and tight turn radius. There is also a story of several raids on airfields by biplanes I think in the Vietnam war that proved near imposible to engage due to the sub 100kt speed and turning ability, especialy at tree top height. Are small composite aircraft harder to see with radar?

Thus, I was wondering of the viability of designing a version of an Extra type aircraft with 2 x fuselage mounted light machine guns. Something like .303 with 400 rpg. yes it would reguire some type of interupter mechanism. A 2 seat Extra 300NG with the 2 guns under the belly and ammunition storeage in the front cockpit seems to be the go.They wouldn't win a war but could prove an extreme irratitant and destraction to a conventional military force. Especially if there were hundreds of them.

The next size up I was immagining would be a modern day carbon fibre Mosquito with 2000 hp Pt6's and 4 x .50 Cal machine guns.

Thoughts anyone.

Last edited by nomorecatering; 24th Feb 2022 at 11:49.